You’ve probably heard that local SEO is a lot different than national search engine optimization. And you’d be right! While there are plenty of similarities between the two, there are also some key differences.
How is local SEO different than other types of SEO?
Local SEO is different than other types of SEO because search engines have an idea of your physical location. If a user searches for “mortgage rates near me”, Google knows where that user is and will display results relevant to their location. If a user searches for “mortgage rates in my state”, Google knows where that user is and will display results relevant to their state.
How does Google know where I am?
- Google can use your IP address to determine your location.
- Your phone’s GPS.
- Your phone’s WiFi connection.
- Your phone’s mobile data connection (if you’re on a mobile network).
- Your phone’s Bluetooth connection or NFC connection, if it has one.
Distance isn’t everything.
Let’s say you’ve got a great business listing, but it’s hiding in the suburbs while your competitors are on street corners near the city center. Are they going to rank higher than you? That depends on other factors that affect local search engine optimization—and distance is just one of many. Other factors include:
- The quality of your business listing and information (e.g., if it includes address, phone number, hours of operation, etc.)
- The quality of your website content (e.g., does it have high-quality images? Is it easy for users to navigate?)
- Sometimes distance is an issue; sometimes it isn’t. It’s important not to misrepresent how far away from town your business is by using an inaccurate address.
There are many different factors that will affect how your business is found, but distance definitely matters.
While distance is not the only factor that will affect how your business is found, it’s definitely a factor. Distance can affect local SEO in both positive and negative ways. If you’re looking to get your business more exposure in another city or state, don’t hesitate to reach out. We’d love to chat with you about how we can help!